Thursday, April 10, 2014

How Valuable is Your Information

How Valuable is Your Information?

One of the ways that today’s technology has negatively affected our society is that people expect immediate or instant gratification from their lives.  So many things have caused all of us, myself included, to become this way.  One of the most incredible advancements in our society is the speed at which we can access information.  For example, I know nothing about changing the oil in my truck.  However, if I wanted to learn how to change the oil in my truck, I could find a YouTube video with a simple web search that will fully detail how to change the oil in my truck.  Information used to be an extremely valuable commodity in business, education, and for the purposes of this post: coaching. 

In the coaching profession, the information that a coach possessed used to be extremely valuable to players and parents.  However, just like I can find an article on how to change my oil, players, coaches, and parents can now find a video or website that will tell them exactly how to block the off tackle power play.  Entire websites have been set up detailing the intricacies of some of the game’s top offensive or defensive units.  For example, the website fishduck.com has video, presentations, and explanations of almost every offensive play run by Chip Kelly during his time at Oregon.  Even the casual fan can visit that website and see all the details of how a particular play is blocked.  Other websites have entire games from the NFL or NCAA available for any coach or fan to view.  The information that used be so valuable to coaches is now available for anyone.

In some cases, coaches have fallen victim to the instant gratification society by valuing the information that they possess over the ability to teach the fundamentals of the game.  Going back to the oil change, I might know HOW to change the oil in my truck.  I could go to ACE Hardware and buy all the latest tools and accessories to change the oil.  However, at the end of the day, there are still some fundamental things that I will have to be able to do in order to use those fancy tools and the information that I got off of YouTube.  If I can’t perform those skills, then it doesn't matter what tools I have and what information I possess.  I could have the secrets to a successful oil change from the world’s greatest oil changer, but those secrets in my possession are worthless because I can’t even turn the first wrench properly to begin the process!


My point is, information is readily available for us as coaches all over the internet.  The secrets to Chip Kelly’s offense aren't secret anymore.  The problem is, sometimes as coaches, we rely too much on the information and not enough on the teaching of skills and techniques that will help our kids be successful.  One thing I have noticed lately is the prevalence of offensive “systems” that you can purchase from various coaches around the country.  I’m not knocking those coaches for trying to make an extra buck, but the bottom line is that no matter what information you possess, you still have to know how to teach kids, evaluate their performance, and teach them the fundamentals they will need in order to be successful.  If you can’t do those things, then the information you might possess is useless.

No comments:

Post a Comment